Because of the access that needs to be granted to OpenBazaar to send notifications and the nature of this peer-to-peer software, users are encouraged to set up a new email address with a service such as Gmail that is just for OpenBazaar orders. They can then forward all email from this address to their main email account.
Remember that, as peer-to-peer software, email notifications will only be sent to you if your store is online. Otherwise they will be stored until the next time your store is opened.
- In OpenBazaar, go to Settings > Advanced
- Scroll down to Email Integration (SMTP) and toggle notifications from “off” to “on.”
- You will now see a form to complete.
Email clients differ in their organization but you should ultimately find the information you need somewhere in your email account settings. Here is how you can find the information needed from a Gmail account:
Here are a few notes about these fields:
- After your SMTP address, add a colon at the end and then the number after “Port for TLS/STARTTLS:” that you find in your settings. For gmail this will look like smtp.gmail.com:587
- Username & password are your full email address and the password for your email account.
- Send from and send to email addresses are likely to be the same email address as well. Iif you are working on an advanced setup you can customize them according to your knowledge.
After entering the information click “Test Integration.”
You may receive an email like this:
Review blocked sign-in attempt
Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app you're using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.
Click the link on “allowing access to less secure apps” to activate.
After this you may choose to have this account to forward to your existing email account. For Gmail, instructions for forwarding can be found here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en