Your store exists nowhere but on your own computer. If your hard drive fails, or your computer is inaccessible for any reason, then you’ve lost your store and any Bitcoin in your wallet.
That is, unless you’ve backed up your data! You need to backup this data as soon as you create your store. This data needs to be backed up somewhere other than the drive the store is located on, otherwise the backup does you no good. Please note that this backup should be in a place that isn’t accessible to anyone else; with this backup someone else could take control of your store.
There are two steps to backing up your store.
First, in the OpenBazaar client go into Menu > Settings > Advanced, then click “Show Seed.” Write down those words, in order, on a piece of paper, and keep it somewhere safe. This will allow you to recreate your OpenBazaar node ID and your wallet in case something goes wrong. However, that seed will not recreate your listings and any open orders you had, so there’s a second step to backing up your store.
Second, you need to make a copy of your data folders for any of the corresponding coins that you run, locations are below:
- Windows: C:\Users[Username]\OpenBazaar2.0
- OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/OpenBazaar2.0
- Linux: ~/.openbazaar2.0
- Windows: C:\Users[Username]\OpenBazaar2.0-bitcoincash
- OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/OpenBazaar2.0-bitcoincash
- Linux: ~/.OpenBazaar2.0-bitcoincash
- Windows: C:\Users[Username]\OpenBazaar2.0-zcash
- OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/OpenBazaar2.0-zcash
- Linux: ~/.OpenBazaar2.0-zcash
Place a copy of this data in a secure place, possibly a external drive or USB drive. It’s a good idea to periodically backup your data folder so that new listings or orders are backed up.